Return To Sport Q & A's
Community sport returns 1 July, so why have the pathway sports been cancelled?
- Unfortunately, since March 2020, the majority of Australian events (via School Sport Australia) have been cancelled for the year.
- School Sport Australia has said that the safety and welfare of students and teachers is paramount. Pathway sport has been cancelled and not suspended because member bodies have indicated to SSA they will not be in a position to select and prepare teams in 2020
- The NSW Government has also recently provided advice that the majority of pathways events will also be cancelled for 2020 at the state level.
- We do recognise the importance of sport and look to work with schools / local areas at facilitating local sport where possible.
Why do we need to have trials at the various levels, can’t teams be selected on paper or by nomination?
- Our preferred position is that there be selections based on performance at events, which ensures every student is given the opportunity to show their skills on an even playing field.
The government announced that inter school sports and gala days can recommence in Term 3. Why have school based NSWPSSA, NSWCHS, NSWCIS, NSWCCC and NSWCPS events been cancelled?
- In the interests of the safety, including ongoing Government restrictions and to also increase the flexibility to provide sporting events, it has been encouraged that sport be held at a smaller school / local level which will assist keeping travel limited. Where possible we will look to assist local authorities to conduct participation events.
My child has been denied the opportunity to represent at the highest level. They will be disadvantaged in seeking acknowledgment/scholarship/institution entry.
- All Australian students have been denied the opportunity to reach the highest level of school sport. Unfortunately, since March 2020, School Sport Australia events have been cancelled. As there is no national pathway, students cannot represent at National level.
- Our understanding is that your child will not be specifically disadvantaged by COVID 19 as this pandemic affects both higher education institutions both Australia and internationally have had to adjust their entry requirements.
My child misses their sport and loves gala days.
- We all love sport and we know how much children love their gala days. We have worked with and listened to local education authorities and schools to provide these gala days but at a local level. This allows more flexibility and reflects individual situations and school needs.